Make your own free website on Tripod.com

my 1986 accord page

new air cleaners
Home
new air cleaners
videos page
more projects
some pictures of the paint so far
current car photos
the video game system page
Favorite Links
Favorite Links
Contact Me

all pictures are clickable for full size and open in a new browser window.

jessicarabbit.jpg

I couldn't find an air cleaner that fit in the space required for this setup,after a lot of trial and error, I ended up turning two air cleaners out of  6 inch,aluminum tailwheel hub castings.  I made a special tool to give the appearance of being ball milled while they were turned in the lathe. I machined out the centers,then made backing plates out of aluminum that had the proper holes and bolt pattern. here are a few pictures and one video

here is the video of working on the backing plates, this is an old clausing lathe that is as old as the hills.

some of the turning on the air cleaners

th_s4020231-2.jpg

this is the first test turning of a hub. this one worked out ok,so now it's a paperweight on my desk. can't throw anything out.

th_s4020230-3.jpg

test fitting on the carbs,the mesh is heavy gauge expanded stainless steel.

th_s4020229-2.jpg

this  is the backing plate after turning, but before boring.  once it's screwed down the aircleaner goes over the jaws of  the lathe chuck, and the plate gets turned down.and the center hole bored. you can also see one of the air cleaner mesh pieces and the circlip in this picture

77564553.jpg

th_s4020240-3.jpg

aircleaners installed on carbs, i painted the center mesh black later

th_s4020264-1.jpg

Enter supporting content here